Sunday, September 28, 2008

Inspiration

I hate feeling bad when walking around fashion stores. Being that fashion is a passion of mine it is bound to happen. I know I can not afford a Chanel piece or a Trink Turk dress not matter how I try and work it- even when I find it for 75% off at Nordstrom Rack- and this does make me frustrated. Just recently, I picked up a Chanel jacket- looked at the stitching, lulled over the craftsmanship, put into check my desired and need to purchase such a great piece at such a steal price, and put it back down. I don't think I had ever touched a Chanel jacket before. Heartbreaking... foregoing a passion is hard.

Luckily, when I am in a good frame of mind I am constantly redirecting my thoughts when this happens, and turning these browsing encounters into inspiration trips. I look for what is out there- decided if I like it, how to emulate it, how I can make it my own, and how I can recreate it a lower price point- but still wear quality. It can be hard to do sometimes. I will admit that Target and sales are my best friends on this endeavour. Before I share some current inspirations- I must admit my look is all over the place. For example, I was once told by a co-worker that I reminded her of Kendra Wilkinson from Girls Next Door (a show I think is campy cute but does not dictate what I think of as beauty) because I was wearing a hoodie, little boys Nike skater shoes, tight jeans, and an ever so present blond bang bouffant pull back. On another day you can find me traveling through Belltown or Ballard in cream luxury alligator print heels, crisp dress pants, and an Ella Moss top. On another occasion I am in a Becca Rory outgoing sunflower yellow silk shift dress with a ruffle down the middle being told I am "sunshine" by a extremely kind homeless person in Seattle. I think that whenever a person puts a smile on another's face that it shows they are kind*. Basically, I can't predict my wardrobe any more than anyone else does. My closet is jam packed and like most people consumed with fashion I claim I have nothing to wear. On a recent browse through a outdoor shopping center, with places to stop and take in the city, I realized that I know what I like, regarding fashion, when I see it- but I really would have to think hard of what designers I like by name. In one store, Mercer, names started popping into my head so I paused to write them down- happy that was able to put communicate what this passion of mine knows. These names where the first to come to me- Phillip Lim, Diane Von Furstenberg, Trina Turk, Corey Lynn Carter, Marc Jacobs ( sometimes :) ), and Zac Posen.
Spring Ready-to-Wear just showed in New York. Every time fashion is in the news I get excited. I have learned that Style.com (owned by Vogue) is a good place to pretend that I made it to New York for every show. I jumped on Style today to see what my just identified designers did for the season. What fun* I am inspired even more now to kick my own tush to achieve the best me physically. I have been trying to put off buying clothes for two reasons- I own a lot of fabulous pieces that don't fit me right now and because I do not need to by clothes to fit the body I have at present. Hopefully I am at a place that will soon be over. Workouts- here I come!


These are a snapshot of what I found that caught my eye the most- they speak volumes of the trends that are coming (this way I know what to snag in fashion sleepy Seattle on sale and at Target before others pick up on it!)~

3.1 Phillip Lim Diane Von Furstenberg

Phillip Lim Diane Von Furstenberg

Phillip Lim Diane Von Furstenberg
Diane Von Furstenberg Marc Jacobs
Diane Von Furstenberg Marc Jacobs
Marc Jacobs
Zac Posen

Zac Posen
Zac Posen

Things I noticed- Ruffles, emphasis on waist (yes-please!), soft colors and jewel tones, lots of fabric, and statement accents like necklaces and head dresses. Plus- Marc really loves the early 1900's! I am going to use all this flashes of color and construction and keep my eyes open wide. I think that in the last couple of days I have rediscovered a deeper passion for something that is important to me. Fashion has always been a part of me but... I have never let myself think of it as my art or an intrinsic part of me. I am now letting it sink in deeper that it is my creativity- just like cooking. I am sure there is many more browsing and maybe shopping trips ahead for me. I have found the best ones happened unplanned.

Just for fun~ I did pick this up last weekend at Anthropologie for $19.95 discounted from $88. It fits perfectly on the bust and it is a can be a winter cold green or a summer pastel. Layers make it work!



No comments: